Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Bartender

Ok, so Megan and Z gave me an assignment: find the best summer beer that is brewed within 100 mi radius of NY and drink it on an outdoor patio.

The first thing that I did to research this task is to go to my favorite local bar, where I am buddies with the bartender and ask his opinion. They always have good stuff on tap, so he gave me some suggestions. Then , of course, I had to drink a few...then I left with a bar tending job.

SO...this week most of my daily adventures are learning how to pour shots, how to tip a pint for the perfect beer, and how to cash out tips. I got to see the scary basement where they keep all the kegs, and yesterday I made $20 in tips while training.

I think that I have to make all the drinks tomorrow. Shit. I don't know how to make a manhattan, nor have I yet made a good martini (too much vermouth!!). This should be interesting. And totally horrifying.

this is where I am working. http://www.bargreatharry.com/

I don't quite know how this all happened so fast. But I like it.

2 comments:

Megan Maynor said...

Does this mean we can expect some fancy drinks when you are home in August? I will start working on my list--I'd like to have mine poured with some shaker-spinning flair, like in Cocktail.

I'm from the 80s.

Had.

Zachary said...

This is a plot twist I didn't expect- Teacher turned bartender. I like it.